Friday, September 26, 2008

When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano

Alright, so I'll admit that this spectacle isn't nearly as impressive as when the swallows come back to Capistrano. But it is pretty cool. Every fall these migratory birds roost in the chimney of Chapman Elementary School. More info can be found at the Audubon Society website here: http://www.audubonportland.org/local-birding/swiftwatch/swifts.

Some friends invited me to come watch last night, and even though I've been here for 8 years I had yet to witness the event. So I figured it was high time. The birds were already circling and entering the chimney when I arrived, but I was able to snap a few photos and take a short video so that you can see what it looks like.

There were quite a few people there, and I imagine that if it were quieter, or if you were all alone watching, the sound that the birds' wings make would be like the quiet rush of the blood flowing through your veins. The image of those birds moving through the air reminds me of those videos they make you watch in high school of blood cells soaring effortlessly through the tunnels constructing our bodies.


It's hard to see them, but they look like tiny flecks of pepper.
(If you click on the picture you can see the gigantic version of it)





Here's some wobbly and giggly footage.

No comments: