Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What You Should Be Reading: Installment 1

If you're like me, then you like a good book. If you're not like me, well then, you still might like a good book even if you can't appreciate men in bunny suits running through the Laurelhurst Park (true story). Lord knows it's a difficult process finding a decent book these days. With all the chick lit, sci-fi, and cardboard cut out books out there (ok, they have their places) sometimes you just want a good bit of literature to sink your teeth into. Something that challenges your thinking, makes you wonder a little bit, draws a little bit more of your soul out into the world. For that, there's this: What You Should Be Reading. I read a lot of books, so if you're looking to find some recommendations, this is the spot. Likewise, if you have a book you would like to recommend, please do so.


I have a certain number of prerequisites when looking for a book. Here they are in no particular order:

1. Book must not be classified as a romance novel. That's not to say it can't have a love story intertwined, but I have to say I get really bored with stories that are just plain about a romance. I mean, boy meets girl, girl meets boy, blah, blah, blah. We've all heard it, seen it, and read it, so lets move on!


2. Book must not be solely about family drama. Again, it could have some family drama woven in, but I think we've all seen The Family Stone. Boring. Not to mention all the personal family drama we all deal with on a daily basis. If it stresses me out in real life, I sure as hell don't want to stress about it in my reading life.


3. The title must grab my attention. And by grab I mean attach and not let go.


4. Book must have an interesting underlying theme. Ok, this one isn't a rule so much as a suggestion. I just love when a book has something unusual about it, some extra quirk that draws me in.


And that's it. Fairly simple really.


Today I will discuss a recent find on a trip to Powells (I often go just to wander, smell the pages). The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon jumped out at me from the shelf. Well, not literally. But the bright orange cover did, as did the title, and we all know the title says a lot about a book.


It seemed a huge task, to write a book about a young man with autism investigating the murder of a neighbor's dog. When I started to read, it took me a few pages to realize that the protagonist had a form of autism, and I was surprised that someone would take that on. Now I must say his story is told with sensitivity and humor, and I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure. My eyes were opened to the reality of autism; something I did not understand before.
It was a pretty fast read, and it challenged my thinking. So if you're in the market for a good book, check it out.


No comments: